Super Smash Sisters: 5 Years Later

Less than five years ago, I uploaded my first Smash 4 machinima test after years of doing miscellaneous crap. That test set the tone for my rebirth as both a content creator and as an individual. 

One year later, in September of 2016, the very first Smash Sisters video was uploaded. The mock trailer for Robin and Beyonetta's two-women rebellion against the "Sisters in Black" was really only meant to be just that, but it was an idea that I would revisit later videos. A few more months of practice videos, and a switch to Premiere Pro, and the series would begin in earnest with the first part of the four-episode "Great Mission" mini-series. 

The inspiration for the mini-series was simple: network heads like to talk about diversity and inclusivity in television programming, but most of them don't back up their words. I was genuinely surprised at the lack of female-centric Smash Bros machinima series, with only a few examples (like the more recent Peach Vs Reality) coming to mind. I knew if no one else was going to do it, then it was up to me. After finishing the mini-series, I would go on to produce other sister-centric machinima films, like Icecapades and Night of the Living ME!ME!ME! This was the beginning of my more experimental phase, inspired by SMG4 and GMod / SFM videos, where I would explore video formats and styles that haven't been done as a Smash machinima. 

All the while, I began work on a sequel to the Great Mission mini-series, crossing over with Icecapades and Night to create New Super Smash Sisters for Wii U: NS3U. Remind me to do an update of the original trailer later this year. Coming off years of working on a certain other machinima series over the past few years with nothing to show for it, and my repeated attempts to close that chapter of my life, I decided in advance that NS3U would be my final machinima series. I have a pretty good idea as to what I want to do next, but it will be more episodic and standalone instead of serialized and longform.

NS3U wasn't the first time I've worked with voice actresses, but it is the project that I spent the most time keeping in touch with other people.


Popular Posts