Who Are The Dark Sisters? [CONTAINS SPOILERS for New Super Smash Sisters for Wii U: NS3U!]



As I entered the final stretch of New Super Smash Sisters for Wii U: NS3U, and Smash Sisters: The Series, I knew it was time for me to step away from Nintendo-related fanon and establish a machinima of my own "canon". 

The last time I did that was with Reycralibur, but that was a long time ago and under different circumstances. In the years' since, I've continued to try every new concept I could think of in order to stand out from other Super Smash Bros machinima directors, and there are still many more things that I haven't tried yet. The one thing I wanted to do more than anything was to make my content more "edgier". With Super Smash Bros machinima, you're either going to get a dramatic fanfic or an adult comedy. That leaves an open space for formats and genres that have been neither touched or perfected, and for all the firsts done by Reycralibur, it was still just another fantasy drama. 

I've never done "horror" films before Icecapades, and not many other directors do. Machinimated music videos are nothing new, but only a few of those featured songs from "my" playlist. So I took a liking to making those kinds of videos. They were fun to do, not too many people were doing them, and I'm always brainstorming ideas for what to do next. Conversely, I've felt burned out every time I finish an NS3U release. I recognize that the original spark and energy that went into the Great Mission mini-series is long gone, and my passion for the sequel has disappeared with it. I suddenly found myself right back where I was when I did the pilot episode for Aile x Opal. I knew that was the project I wanted to work on, but I couldn't bring myself to cancel the project that I wanted nothing to do with anymore. 

Not this time.

From the moment I introduced "Veran" in Stage 5, I knew what direction I was going to take my content next. The many delays I've had to deal with while working on NS3U provided an opportunity for me to explore this new direction. I knew going into We Are All Deviants that this was going to cause some confusion to longtime viewers of Smash Sisters: The Series. So now that I have some free time, let's clear the air.

Although NS3U is supposed to be a crossover between all of my films from 2017, We Are All Deviants is its own stand-alone project. The only similarities between the two series are the antagonists, but whereas NS3U is rooted in video game fanon, WAAD is its own thing. I deliberately avoided naming God Eater and Ethel as such in NS3U for this reason, but it was too little, too late in the case of "MeMe-chan". 

The Veran of NS3U is not supposed to be from the same universe that the series takes place in. In the Great Mission / NS3U storyline, the Smash World (informally called "Dairantou", because calling it that, or the "World of Trophies / Light", would be too generic) is one of many in the multiverse, and Veran is a Smasher from one of these "alternate" Smash Worlds. Her texture is actually a recolor of Marin from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, so you can pass off her appearance as Veran taking over the body of Marin before coming to the "Smash World" that NS3U takes place; much like she did to Nana and Palutena. 

Now by that logic, you would think that WAAD would also take place in one of these alternate Smash Worlds in the multiverse, and that's a pretty good machinima theory. But the fact of the matter is that if I had simply decided to choose different textures, or had the talent to create my own, I would have never "recycled" the textures I used for NS3U in the first place and you would know that WAAD doesn't take place in the same setting. As for why I didn't just use different textures? It's because I believe that would be a waste. There aren't a lot of great mods for Smash 4, and to waste few good ones I've found on a project that I've lost interest in would be a damn shame. NS3U is about to end; we've reached the final episode. So instead of waiting to finish one series before moving on to another, I called my shot. 

So, if not "Veran", MeMe-chan, and "the ones from another world", then who are these jezebels that have victimized our nameless swordsman in (the non-canon) "Take. Me. Now." and "We Are Wolves"? You're just gonna have to keep watching "We Are All Deviants" to find out. WAAD is an open-ended and non-serialized series, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make you wait to learn the answers to such immediate questions. After all, you don't even know the name of the aforementioned "nameless swordsman" yet. 

...Then again, neither do I! Let me do some brainstorming for future WAAD installments and I'll get back to you.

Popular Posts