Friday, 18 November 2016

Ranking Teletoon's New Shows (2016)

As Canada's designated animation brand, Teletoon has a responsibility to air shows that appeal to all walks of life. After a staggering a bit in recent years, Teletoon is finally getting back on track. It's time see which of their 2016 freshman is worth my time. If I offend you, I'm sorry, but I'm still expecting better from this channel and Canadian animation as a whole. If it helps, these aren't even the worst shows on Teletoon right now.

Inspector Gadget REALLY should have stayed in retirement.

4) Looped
A bland, one-trick pony that doesn't even deserve a mention.


3) Supernoobs
SuperOverrated, more like. The only reason people like this show is because they hate Johnny Test. Having a storyline and supposedly better animation does not make a better show. If anything, this show is just as annoying. The same reckless cast of jerks, but on proper medication. It's original, I'll give it that, but I can only wait so long for a show like this to reach its potential.

Also, do I really need to give the time of day to ANOTHER superhero cartoon aimed squarely at kids, when Marvel completely flooded that market? When Cartoon Network is already airing FOUR of these shows and only ONE of them shows actual promise?

Sorry Scott Fellows, but you should have stuck to live-action comedies.


2) Freaktown
Freaktown is yet another vehicle for toilet humor with no ounce of originality.

It's not a bad show, it's certainly better than crap like Camp Lakebottom and the in-name only Day My Butt Went Psycho, but I was kinda expecting something more clever from one of the guys behind League of Super Evil. So was Teletoon apparently, because they screwed this show just like they did Endangered Species. I'll be surprised if Freaktown gets a second season after that, but it's probably for the best if it didn't.


1 1/2) Counterfeit Cat
About damn time, leave it to the British to show us how its done! Imagine Roboroach if Reg actually had a conscience and you have one of Teletoon's best comedies in YEARS! The animation is crisp, the music is delightfully bubbly, and as far as relatable characters goes, Max may very well be my cartoon avatar. ...Or at least he would be, If I didn't hate every single person I've ever met.

What I really love about this show is that the friendship between Garth and Max is actually shown, not said, to be genuine. It doesn't seem like much, but that's a rarity in kids' cartoons these days, so I found it to be very refreshing to say the least.


1 1/2) Atomic Puppet
Supernoobs, Teen Titans, take notes. THIS is how you do a superhero comedy! Better yet, Dr. Dimensionpants should be taking notes, because Atomic Puppet is to it what Supernoobs is supposedly to Johnny Test.

The episodes are nicely-paced for a quarter-hour, its animation is very pulp, and the main theme kicks so much ass! An action show is only as good as its cast, and the dynamic between Joey and AP is perfect in every single way.

This is one of those moments that remind me why I NEVER do countdowns. I simply could not choose between Counterfeit Cat and Atomic Puppet, not because one is a comedy and the other is an action show, but because these are the kinds of shows that Teletoon should be doing more of!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.