Tuesday, 5 May 2015

My Favorite Kidcoms

Let it never be said I have an unfair bias against kidcoms, because there ARE some good ones out there.
...Some good ones...

Nickelodeon, you know I like you, but when Big Time Rush ended, so did my reason for caring. Ignoring the fact that the show was clearly a ripoff of JONAS and was just a vehicle for crappy tween music (safe for the infectious theme song), BTR was actually a spiritual successor to Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. A very quirky show till the end, unlike the crappy teen drama JONAS became.

Personally, when it comes to Disney Channel, the only show worth watching is Girl Meets World. It's not very funny, but it's every bit as mature as it's parent series. Whereas most shows rely on a cookie-cutter formula, GMW is a bit more realistic and a lot more down to earth. It might as well air on ABC Family, because it's clearly better than every other show on Disney Channel.

Although I'm glad Disney XD is moving away from this genre, I still have to say Lab Rats keeps me coming back for more. Hey, when a kids show decides to end a season with the main trio exiling themselves after their secret is reveled only for the bad guy to come from out of nowhere and blow up the secret base, trapping the supporting cast in the rubble, I HAVE to give props. Someone was clearly taking lessons from Mainframe on how to do a cliffhanger. My only gripe is that they don't go down this route more often, every other episode is just generic slapstick and puns, and that laugh track is NOT helping.

The problem with kidcoms these days is very much the same problem first-person shooter games had when Modern Warfare 2 came on the scene; Every other show looks the same, feels the same, and is very much the same. The only difference is the setting and characters, unless said character is a Chelsea Daniels knockoff, because stupid people are funny (oN yehT erA !toN). I'm just saying if I have kids, and that's a strong if, I would like to know they're not watching something that they wouldn't have their kids watching.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.