Tuesday, 26 August 2014

The Notorious YTV

It's not often I do this. In fact, I never did this before. But that's before I learned about the power of social media. In my MuchMusic Fall Schedule post which I shared on Much's facebook page, I actually got my first comment for this blog. I normally wouldn't care about comments in general, but one comment that took what I said and... Well, just read it for yourself.

So, I figured. Hey, why not take the request and talk about YTV for a second. It seems as though YTV has gotten some infamy lately. Though, I wasn't sure why. The announcer is still as funny as he was back in the day, The Zone has expanded to become THE hotspot on YTV's schedule, and YTV still maintains a healthy relationship with Nickelodeon. What could be the problem? That's when I remembered my little rant from Channels I don't like Vol. 1. Oh yeah. THAT'S why.

I don't know. There's something about YTV that's feels so..unnatural. Hollow. Soulless. Maybe not a ghost of it's former self, but still. Why am I thinking about Bleach all the sudden?

The on-screen graphics have gotten dull. Blue & abstract, like it's still 2007. The credits pushback has been ruined because now I can't even see the credits. Original scripted programming has gotten lazy. Spongebob knockoffs and Disney Channel knockoffs; nothing memorable in the least. The shows from Nickelodeon aren't any better; all the good stuff is on the Canadian version.

Primetime sucked before Teletoon and the Hub Network's shows took over. Still sucks because YTV has to rely on Just for Laughs Gags and movies. Movies, movies and more movies. That's all YTV does in primetime anymore. Maybe they should have kept reruns of Naruto and seasons one through three of Bleach. At least that's different.

I know I'm nitpicking, but, something feels off about YTV. It's a kids network, so I shouldn't care. But, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, The Hub Network, Teletoon, Teletoon Retro and Disney XD look so much more appealing to me. I don't have a choice but to make comparisons. They got some great shows and a burst of energy to go with them. Especially Disney XD, which is SO MUCH better than Disney Channel and even Family Channel.

...Dear god. That's right. YTV is a kids network, it isn't for teens or adults! THAT'S the problem! Think about it. Everybody Hates Chris, 8 Simple Rules, anime, Smallville, Friday Night Lights, Freaking Buffy! All of these shows appeal to the "older youth audience" mentioned in YTV's viewer advisory bump.

In the wake of CNReal, Cartoon Network has found new success with it's original shows attracting young adults. Disney XD targets the same audience as Disney Channel, tweens, but does it with action and comedy programming. The time range of retro programming has changed, but Teletoon Retro and Boomerang still offer shows that are as appealing to the adults who watched them, as the kids who watch them for the first time. And I don't even need to talk about the Hub Network beyond the reason why it was created in the first place.

Kids networks don't just appeal to kids anymore, they appeal to their families as well. That's why YTV feels so wrong. They're pandering to kids, while alienating their older siblings and their parents. So, "Anonymous", as for what YTV is serving up this fall, it doesn't really matter. It's all the same bull we've seen before that will only appeal to kids, not anyone else. YTV is as appealing as the average YouTube original show. (ie. AwesomenessTV)

There you have it, the mystery is solved. Going back to being weird won't help YTV in the public eye if they keep doing what they're doing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.